Tuesday 3 August 2010

Trains and planes and automobiles

Get ready, World, I'm about to start blogging from the TRAIN! How modern is that? Well, it would be about a million times more modern if I hadn't spent the last half hour trying to figure out why EastCoast's wi-fi (whose connection, the icon tells me smugly, is 'excellent') wouldn't log me into any given website. So, I tried the classic solution of 'turn it off and on again' and voila! It works. After first logging me into the back end bit of the site in Swedish, then revealing another set of comments for me to moderate, 75% of which were in Chinese. I have no idea why I have so many Chinese commenters - it's not like I didn't switch my culinary allegiances to Thai about two decades ago, and that was pretty much my only knowledge of, or affiliation with, China and its numerous peoples. Apart from the fact my friend Michelle cycled round a large part of the country relatively recently - but she has her own, vastly successful blog detailing that, so I doubt there's a connection.

(Talking of connections, I'd post the link to Michelle's blog if I didn't think that looking for it would mean that the above paragraph would inevitably be lost in the ether). But I can assure you it exists, is very excellent and has about a bajillion followers.

Anyway, for those who're used to knowing exactly where they are at all times by dint of sat navs or their iPhones, and feel unnerved by not knowing where other people are, I can tell you that I've just gone through Darlington. Which, if my eyes didn't deceive me, has a door marked 'Chaplain' on the platform. I used to live near Darlington - I don't remember it as being bad enough to warrant actual religious comfort on either entering it or preparing to leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment