Wednesday 18 August 2010

Culture Vulture

My less-than-laugh-a-minute dates with Cheerful James are currently being eschewed for actual-laugh-a-minute dates with comedians. (Is it wrong that, because CJ had to cancel one of our sessions because of illness - his, not mine, which was a turn up for the books - I am actually missing having various bits of me aching all the time? Yes, it is wrong. It's thoroughly aberrant.) My comedic 'dates' are almost as sweaty, though, given that they mostly take place in extraordinarily hot and cramped venues for an hour at a time. Last night's was in some sort of container thing and even at 8.00pm on a temperate day, was pretty grim by the end.

However, so far, all my Festival events have been at least a solid 3.5 out of 5, I'd say. I've seen: Mark Watson - overpriced at £18 for an hour, but some very funny bits, including the part where he leaped off the stage and chased a couple who left after ten minutes. Turned out they were in the wrong show, which, as he said, was quite an achievement, given we'd queued for about twenty minutes outside; then queued some more in the venue; then got ourselves settled whilst Mark tapped out very funny messages on a screen; then the screen changed to a massive visual that said, 'Do I Know You?' (the title of the show) and 'Mark Watson'. With, naturally, Mark Watson then standing underneath it. I try to read his blog every day, and basically I love him, so the medium score I'm tempted to give was based mainly on the fact that I'd been to see him trying out material for this show at Christmas time in the Soho Theatre, so was familiar with quite a lot of the material. (And also that an hour's not enough - might just have to shell out for one of his tour dates later in the year, which will be longer).

Laura Solon - I saw her last year, and thought her character-based one-woman play was very funny. Perhaps because it was based around publishing, and seemed uncannily accurate. This year's was more hit and miss (a story about an ex-model turned TV presenter trying to produce a documentary about a legendary owl on an island called Steven) and had an oddly old crowd in. Perhaps because it was on a Saturday afternoon? Who knows. Anyway, enlivened by a spotting of Stephen Merchant on the way out. (Also seen: Frank Skinner, who looks freakishly young. Some cosmetic attention, there? So unlikely, but seemingly true.)

Matt Green - also saw him for the first time last year. My friend and I agreed afterwards he should be much more famous, as he's sweetly funny. (We also agreed we both wanted to be his friend. He's so cute!). He's currently most recognisable as the supermarket staffer who grabs a box of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes from a customer, shakes it and says, 'You can't have that one, it's broken'.

Dan Antopolski - never seen him live before, but a great show. Very daft, loads of terrible puns (which I love) and weirdly Matt Green was sitting right behind me! Also, a couple of fantastic songs, including a rap at the end centred around those laser things you can get at B&Q which measure distances - this incorporated an inspired bit where the awesome 80s Mr. Mister soft rock extravaganza 'Kyrie Eleison' was repurposed as 'Carry a laser' and he killed himself laughing. I always like it when comedians make themselves genuinely crack up.

Josh Howie - took a punt on this as I got given one of his flyers literally as my sister was saying on the phone to me, 'You should go and see Josh Howie, he's good' and his show was due to start ten minutes later. Cleverer puns, and a slightly odd show about the years he and his girlfriend (now wife) spent living with his gran because she had a large house and they couldn't afford a deposit for a flat. It felt like he might be better without a 'theme', which was ultimately a bit restrictive. I think I'm right in saying that he's Ab Fab PR supremo/fruitbat Lynne Franks' son. Which is a nugget of trivia that I like - he's perfectly normal looking (verging on nerdy), so the idea of him being a male Saffy is rather pleasing.

Tonight I'm off to see a play that's about boxing (will it be hard hitting? Arf), before more comedy on Saturday/Sunday and next Tuesday and Wednesday, when I've got a few things booked. I'm also enjoying taking unfeasible numbers of cabs everywhere (three yesterday) because they're so cheap compared with London. It's so decadent and I feel like a BBC3 talent scout or something. Well, apart from the fact that I'm paying for nearly all my tickets, and they're getting everything for free. Including the cabs. It's at this time of the year when you feel you're definitely working in the wrong bit of the entertainment industry...

No comments:

Post a Comment